Monday, January 24, 2005

Critical Thinking

Critical thinking and problem solving engage three interdependent components: knowledge base, processing skills, and insight (metacognition).

Critical thinking is the art of asking questions.

Which questions should I ask? Should I question the answers to the questions that I ask? Should I question the question? Are some questions better to ask than others? How do I recognize a useful as opposed to an unhelpful question? If thinking is something I do inside my head and I ask all these questions do I have to come up with the answers?”

Tips to start critical thinking
1. Describe – state what it is
2. Analyse – Break it down into its component parts and
3. Name the parts
4. Look at the relationships between the parts
5. What are the possible problems/issues with these relationships?
6. Evaluate the ‘problems’ is it an important issue/ why do you think that?
7. Imagine an alternative
8. Apply steps 1-7 to the alternative.


Another way to organize these eight steps is to use the general categories of
WHAT: background, context, part
HOW: Relationships ofparts, to each other and to the whole
WHY: The meaning of it:Why are the relationships between the parts structured that way
WHY NOT: Alternatives:How could it be different? What would it look like if it was different?

From Julia Hobson’s Critical Thinking workshop, Murdoch University, 2002.

1 comment:

Saad Amir said...

In any critical situation when we solve these problems in this situations by critical thinking.
regards, Infolx